Friday, 8 January 2010

I remember a hundred lovely lakes

I remember a hundred lovely lakes, and recall the fragant breath of pine and fir and cedar and poplar trees. The trail has strung upon it, as upon a thread of silk, opalescent dawns and saffron sunsets. It has given me blessed release from care and worry and the troubled thinking of our modern day. It has been a return to the primitive and the peaceful. Whenever the pressure of our complex city life thins my blood and benumbs my brain, I seek relief in the trail: and when I hear the coyote wailing to the yellow dawn, my cares fall from me - I am happy.

Hamlin Garland, McClure's, February 1899

2 comments:

  1. “If the sight of the blue skies fills you with joy,
    if a blade of grass springing up in the fields has power to move you,
    if the simple things of nature have a message that you understand,
    rejoice, for your soul is alive. “

    Eleonora Duse

    And…I think you still happy, my dear Friend.

    Bjs
    Fátima

    ReplyDelete
  2. Obrigada Fátima pela oportuna citação e pelas simpáticas palavras!
    Bjs, cx

    ReplyDelete